Saturday, August 8, 2015

Tariq Ali | Reflections during Conversation

I wish I was politically inclined,
I wish I was, but I am not.
Lost - is how I feel sitting here.
I am in a crowd of people who have what I have not.

I wish I was more economically inclined,
I wish I was, but I am not.
Ignorant - is how I feel sitting here.
I am in a crowd of people who are what I am not.

On cue,
They laugh.

On cue,
They nod.

On cue,
They understand.

I am aware of the collective consciousness before me,
I see it, but a part of it is something I am not.

Why?

Maybe it is because I am not grey-haired or balding?
Maybe it is because I do not routinely chuckle or grunt in agreement?
Maybe it is because I have not maturity but rather naivety?

These are the things I think about as I sit here and watch

But wait -

Watch?

Watch I should not,

Listen I should.

1 comment:

  1. This is a great reflection on the evening Kira. It was absolutely more difficult being a younger person in the audience.

    ReplyDelete